Welcome to my FlamingFurnace, backyard metal casting blog.

Hi everyone, I mainly focus on metal casting projects using recycled scrap aluminum and other accessories in the pattern creations.
Aluminum is a very versatile material and I would like to promote the awareness of aluminum recycling via different metal casting projects.

Feel free to check my YouTube channel where I provide detailed explanations, tips & tutorials for best backyard aluminum casting methods, homemade foundry equipment & of course the importance of safety when working with molten aluminum.

So remember recycle and Enjoy my blog ;-)

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Aluminum Foundry Sand Casting House no. 25, 38

After my last few successfully castings using greensand I decided to make two new aluminum numbers for my house and for my parents in law. After casting the "diving plaque" I had more experience with this type of pattern. For the first pattern with the no. 38 I used 9mm MDF for the plaque base and my old metal numbers. I used plastic rope to create the plaque boarder.

The main thing with plaques is to create a good draft (angle) around the letters using some sort of filler that will be easy to sand and smooth that way the letters impression in the sand mould will come out in good quality without breaking the sand. Its important to get the sand mould correct the first time because plaques are all about good finishing, any casting defects are hard to fix and will be visible to the observer eye and definatly to a metal caster.

Using my new greensand I made the mould for the no. 38. The casting turned out well I just had a bit of grinding of aluminum flash around the plaque. I got carried away with the parting powder so that ruined a bit the flat surface around the number...... but that will be painted anyway ;-).

The second house number 25 was custom made from a-z, the base I made from MDF and also the letters. I used 8mm MDF to make the numbers so the numbers where chunky and needed a good draft around them. The last thing and VERY IMPORTANT, I used clear varnish for both plaques that prevents the sand from sticking to the pattern.

I almost thought the number 25 would have casting defects because I didn't have enough molten metal too fill the feeder on one side. To my surprise it was perfect. After cutting of the the sprue and riser and a bit of flash grinding I only had to give the numbers a good polish on the buffing wheel.
Last thing I drilled holes to mount it on the wall.
I used black gloss external metal paint for both of the number plaques and I polished the no. 25.
Both of them will be mounted on the wall of our houses for many years to come.

1 comment:

  1. Phenomenal article. Extremely fascinating to peruse. I truly love to peruse such a pleasant article. Much obliged! continue shaking. mold repair

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your Donations ;-)